NEW YORK CITY SUBWAY HISTORY - IRT DIVISION

THE IRT DIVISION


IRT: BMT: IND:
SUBWAY TRIVIA: THE LIRR IN RELATION TO BROOKLYN ELS:
SUBWAY LINES: HOME PAGE:



The Interboro Rapid transit (IRT) was said to be the first subway in the New York City Transit system. Contrary to popular belief, it wasn't. The first subway in Manhattan was the Pneumatic tube system built in 1869. Additionally, the first subway in Brooklyn was the Atlantic Ave tunnel built in 1844 as part of the L.I.R.R. There were also four Manhattan els along Second, Third, Sixth, and Ninth Aves during the 1880s in addition to Brooklyn's more extensive network of els during that time period. The IRT took control of the four Manhattan els but also built the current IRT system consisting of today's 1 to 7 trains. It was October 27, 1904 when the IRT first operated the 9.1 mile long subway line consisting of 28 stations from City Hall to 145st. There used to be an train on a remnant of the Third Ave El in the Bronx but that was demolished in 1973. There was also a train along the Seventh Avenue subway 1989 - 2005.

    IRT LINES INDIVIDUALLY

    1 THE BROADWAY SEVENTH AVE LOCAL ORIGINAL ROUTE WENT FROM 145st TO TIMES SQUARE, TURNED EAST ON THE 42nd STREET SHUTTLE, AND WENT TO CITY HALL ON LEXINGTON AVE LINE 10/27/1904 THERE WERE ONLY 28 STATIONS ON A 9.1 STRETCH OF TRACKS 1904 THIS EARLY LINE EXTENDED BEYOND 145st FROM 149st TO BRONX PARK 1905 THE DUAL CONTRACTS WAS IMPLEMENTED BY THE CITY TO BUILD ADDITIONAL LINES OF THE IRT AND BMT 1913 THE IRT EXTENTION OF THE SEVENTH AVE LINE SOUTH OF TIMES SQUARE WAS BUILT 1913 THE IRT EXTENTION OF THE LEXINGTON AVE LINE NORTH OF GRAND CENTRAL WAS BUILT 1913 THE SECTION BETWEEN TIMES SQUARE AND GRAND CENTRAL WAS TURNED INTO THE 42nd STREET SHUTTLE 1913 WENT FROM 137st BROADWAY TO SOUTH FERRY 1948 - 1959 THIS LINE WAS KNOWN AS THE 1 TRAIN IN 1956 1 TRAIN WENT FROM 137st BROADWAY TO SOUTH FERRY OR 242st TO SOUTH FERRY 1959 - 1967 1 TRAIN WENT FROM 137st BROADWAY TO SOUTH FERRY OR 242st OR DYKEMAN TO SOUTH FERRY 1967 - 1969 1 TRAIN WENT FROM 242st TO SOUTH FERRY 1972 - 1989 CORTLANDT, RECTOR, AND SOUTH FERRY CLOSED AFTER THE WTC ATTACKS 9/11/01 CHAMBERS STREET CLOSED FOR THE 1 AND 2 TRAINS 9/11/01 THE 1 TRAIN WAS REROUTED TO GO FROM 242ST TO NEW LOTS BECAUSE CORTLANDT, RECTOR, AND SOUTH FERRY WERE OFF LIMITS AFTER THE WTC ATTACKS ON 9/11/01 THE 3 TRAIN WAS REROUTED TO GO FROM LENOX TERMINAL TO 14ST 9/11/01 PARK PLACE WAS CLOSED FOR THE 1 AND 2 TRAINS 9/11/01 THE 9 TRAIN WAS CLOSED 9/11/01 CHAMBERS ST STATION REOPENS FOR THE 1 AND 2 TRAINS TEN DAYS LATER ON 9/21/01 THE PARK PLACE STATION REOPENS FOR THE 1 AND 2 TRAINS 47 DAYS LATER ON 10/28/01 THE 9 TRAIN REOPENS AFTER A YEAR AND FOUR DAYS ON 9/15/02 RECTOR AND SOUTH FERRY REOPEN FOR THE 1 AND 9 TRAINS AFTER A YEAR AND FOUR DAYS ON 9/15/02 CORTLANDT STATION STILL CLOSED FOR THE 1 AND 9 TRAINS UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE THE 1 WENT BACK TO ITS ORIGINAL 242ST TO SOUTH FERRY ROUTE A YEAR AND FOUR DAYS LATER 9/15/02 THE 3 WENT BACK TO ITS LENOX TERMINAL TO NEW LOTS ROUTE A YEAR AND FOUR DAYS LATER 9/15/02 SOUTH FERRY STATION REBUILT UNDER EXISTING SUBWAY LOOP 3/16/2009 NEW SOUTH FERRY STATION CLOSED 2012 AFTER HURRICANE SANDY FLOODS AND OLD LOOP STATION TEMPORARILY RE-OPENED 2013 - 2017 NEW SOUTH FERRY STATION BACK IN SERVICE 6/2017 - PRESENT CORTLANDT ST RENAMED WTC CORTLANDT STREET AND REOPENED FOR 1 TRAIN 9/8/2018
    2 THE WHITE PLAINS SEVENTH AVE EXPRESS ORIGINAL ROUTE WENT FROM 145st TO TIMES SQUARE, TURNED EAST ON THE 42nd STREET SHUTTLE, AND WENT TO CITY HALL ON LEXINGTON AVE LINE 10/27/1904 IT REACHED WHITE PLAINS 241st BY 1917 SECOND AVE EL CONNECTED WITH STATIONS JACKSON AVE TO FREEMAN ST 7/23/1917 IT REACHED BROOKLYN COLLEGE BY 1920 THIRD AVE EL CONNECTED THE STATIONS GUN HILL ROAD TO E 241 ST 1920 WENT FROM E 241st TO UTICA 1939 TO 1959 SECOND AVE EL ENDED 6/13/1942 THIS LINE BECAME KNOWN AS THE 2 TRAIN IN 1948 THIRD AVE EL STOPPED RUNNING IN MANHATTAN 5/12/1955 WENT FROM E 241st TO UTICA OR ATLANTIC 1959 - 1966 WENT FROM E 241st TO NEW LOTS 1966 THIRD AVE EL IN BRONX LASTED UNTIL 4/28/1973 THE 2 CONTINUED GOING FROM E 241st TO NEW LOTS UNTIL 1978 THE 2 WENT FROM E 241st TO SOUTH FERRY IN 1989 CHAMBERS STREET CLOSED FOR THE 1 AND 2 TRAINS AFTER THE WTC ATTACKS ON 9/11/01 PARK PLACE CLOSED FOR THE 1 AND 2 TRAINS 9/11/01 CHAMBERS ST STATION REOPENS FOR THE 1 AND 2 TRAIN TEN DAYS LATER ON 9/21/01 PARK PLACE STATION REOPENS FOR THE 1 AND 2 TRAINS 47 DAYS LATER ON 10/28/01
    3 THE LENOX SEVENTH AVE LOCAL ORIGINAL ROUTE WENT FROM 145st TO TIMES SQUARE, TURNED EAST ON THE 42nd STREET SHUTTLE, AND WENT TO CITY HALL ON LEXINGTON AVE LINE 10/27/1904 THE LENOX LINE TO 145ST WAS THE SECOND PART OF THE IRT SUBWAY TO OPEN 11/23/1904 TRAINS WENT TO CITY HALL UNTIL SEVENTH AVE BRANCH WAS COMPLETED 7/1/18 LATER, IT BECAME LOCAL TO SOUTH FERRY CROSSING OVER TODAYS #1 TRAIN AT 96ST IT REACHED NEW LOTS AVE BY 1920 WENT FROM 180st BRONX PARK TO FLATBUSH 1939 - 1959 THIS LINE WAS KNOWN AS THE 3 TRAIN 1948 RUSH HOUR EXPRESSES BEGIN OPERATING TO FLATBUSH 1/4/55 A FEW LAYUPS AND PUT IN CARS WENT TO NEW LOTS 1/4/55 WENT FROM DYRE AVE TO NEW LOTS 1959 ALSO FROM E 180st TO NEW LOTS 1959 ALSO FROM DYRE AVE TO E 180st 1959 ALSO FROM 145st TO LENOX 1959 ALSO FROM 241st TO FLATBUSH 1959 WEST SIDE IMPROVEMENT HAD TRAINS NO LONGER SWITCH AT 96ST 2/6/59 SERVICE RUNS TO FLATBUSH ALL TIMES ACCEPT NIGHTS 2/6/59 SERVICE TO NEW LOTS AT ALL TIMES ACCEPT NIGHTS 4/8/60 THE 3 WENT TO FLATBUSH AGAIN 4/18/65 THE 3 WENT FROM 145st TO FLATBUSH 1966 - 1967 148ST LENOX TERMINAL OPENED 5/13/68 THE 3 WENT FROM 148st LENOX TERMINAL TO FLATBUSH 1968 - 1978 CURRENT PRACTICE OF STARTING SUNDAY SERVICE LATE BEGINS 5/23/76 THE 3 WAS SENT BACK TO NEW LOTS SO IT COULD MORE READILY ACCESS THE LIVONIA SHOPS 7/10/83 THE 3 WENT FROM 148ST LENOX TO NEW LOTS 1989 THE 3 TRAIN WAS REROUTED TO GO FROM LENOX TERMINAL TO 14ST AFTER THE WTC ATTACKS ON 9/11/01 THE 1 TRAIN WAS REROUTED TO GO FROM 242ST TO NEW LOTS BECAUSE CORTLANDT, RECTOR, AND SOUTH FERRY WERE OFF LIMITS AFTER THE WTC ATTACKS ON 9/11/01 THE 1 WENT BACK TO ITS ORIGINAL 242ST TO SOUTH FERRY ROUTE A YEAR AND FOUR DAYS LATER 9/15/02 THE 3 WENT BACK TO ITS LENOX TERMINAL TO NEW LOTS ROUTE A YEAR AND FOUR DAYS LATER 9/15/02
    9 THE BROADWAY SEVENTH AVE LOCAL THE 9 TRAIN WAS CREATED AS A SKIP STOP SERVICE WITH 1 TRAIN 1989 IT RUNS ONLY WEEKDAYS AND SAVES TIME AND INCREASES FREQUENCY 1989 THE 9 TRAIN WAS CLOSED AFTER THE WTC ATTACKS ON 9/11/01 CORTLANDT, RECTOR, AND SOUTH FERRY WERE OFF LIMITS AFTER THE WTC ATTACKS ON 9/11/01 THE 9 TRAIN WAS REOPENED AFTER 1 YEAR AND FOUR DAYS ON 9/15/02 RECTOR AND SOUTH FERRY REOPENED AFTER 1 YEAR AND FOUR DAYS FOR THE 1 AND 9 TRAINS ON 9/15/02 CORTLANDT STATION STILL CLOSED FOR THE 9 AND 1 TRAINS UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE THE 9 TRAIN WAS PHASED OUT IN FAVOR OF A FULL TIME 1 TRAIN ON MAY 31, 2005
    4 THE JEROME LEXINGTON EXPRESS ORIGINAL ROUTE WENT FROM 145st TO TIMES SQUARE, TURNED EAST ON THE 42nd STREET SHUTTLE, AND WENT TO CITY HALL ON LEXINGTON AVE LINE 10/27/1904 WALL ST AND FULTON ST OPENED 6/12/1905 IT ALSO EXTENDED BEYOND CITY HALL INTO BROOKLYN 1908 - 1920 THE DUAL CONTRACTS WAS IMPLEMENTED BY THE CITY TO BUILD ADDITIONAL LINES OF THE IRT AND BMT 1913 THE IRT EXTENTION OF THE SEVENTH AVE LINE SOUTH OF TIMES SQUARE WAS BUILT 1913 THE IRT EXTENTION OF THE LEXINGTON AVE LINE NORTH OF GRAND CENTRAL WAS BUILT 1913 THE SECTION BETWEEN TIMES SQUARE AND GRAND CENTRAL WAS TURNED INTO THE 42nd STREET SHUTTLE 1913 SHUTTLES BEGIN OPERATING BETWEEN 149ST AND KINGSBRIDGE IN ADVANCE OF THROUGH ROUTING LEXINGTON SERVICE 6/2/17 JEROME AVE EL FIRST OPENED IN THE BRONX 1918 AN EXTENTION WAS BUILT BY THE NEW YORK AND NORTHERN RAILROAD JULY 1, 1918 THIS CONNECTED THE SIXTH AND NINTH AVE ELS WITH THE JEROME AVE EL IN THE BRONX USING THE SEDGWICK CONNECTION AT 8TH AVE AND 155ST JULY 1, 1918 COMPLETED TO GRAND CENTRAL STATION 7/17/18 IT REACHED WOODLAWN 1/2/1919 EXTENDED TO UTICA RUSH HOURS 8/23/1920 WEEKDAY SERVICE EXTENDED TO UTICA 12/5/27 MIDDAY SERVICE EXTENDED FROM SOUTH FERRY TO UTICA 1928 SOUTH FERRY, UTICA, AND ATLANTIC WERE THE TERMINALS TRAINS RAN TO OVER THE DECADES IT WENT FROM WOODLAWN TO UTICA OR NEW LOTS 1939 - 1959 SIXTH AND NINTH AVE EL CEASED CONNECTIONS WITH JEROME EL 6/1/1940 WENT LATE NIGHTS TO NEW LOTS 12/20/46 FOUR RUSH HOUR TRAINS OPERATE TO FLATBUSH 12/15/50 - 5/3/57 A SECTION OF EL FROM 155st TO 167st CONTINUED AS THE POLO GROUNDS SHUTTLE UNTIL 1958 4 TRAIN WENT FROM WOODLAWN TO UTICA OR ATLANTIC 1959 - 1966 NEARLY ALL AM RUSH HOUR TRAINS RAN TO FLATBUSH AND PM ALTERNATED BETWEEN FLATBUSH AND UTICA 4/8/60 THIS LINE WAS KNOWN AS THE 4 TRAIN 1962 THE 4 WENT FROM WOODLAWN TO UTICA, ATLANTIC, OR FLATBUSH 1967 - 1972 THE 4 WENT FROM WOODLAWN TO FLATBUSH 1972 - 1978 ALL TRAINS TO UTICA, EXCEPT MIDDAYS AND LOCALS EXTENDED TO NEW LOTS 7/10/83 MIDDAY TRAINS EXTENDED TO UTICA 1/18/88 THE 4 WENT FROM WOODLAWN TO UTICA OR WOODLAWN TO NEW LOTS 1989 WALL STREET STATION CLOSED FOR THE 4 AND 5 TRAINS AFTER THE WTC ATTACKS ON 9/11/01 WALL STREET REOPENED FOR THE 4 AND 5 TRAINS TEN DAYS LATER ON 9/21/01
    5 THE WHITE PLAINS LEXINGTON EXPRESS ORIGINAL ROUTE WENT FROM 145st TO TIMES SQUARE, TURNED EAST ON THE 42nd STREET SHUTTLE, AND WENT TO CITY HALL ON LEXINGTON AVE LINE 10/27/1904 BROOKLYN BRIDGE STATION OPENED 10/27/1904 JACKSON, PROSPECT, INTERVALE, SIMPSON, FREEMAN, 174ST, AND WEST FARMS OPENED 11/26/1904 BOWLING GREEN OPENED 7/10/1905 149ST AND 149ST/THIRD AVE OPENED 7/10/1905 IT REACHED WHITE PLAINS 241st 3/31/1917 E 180 ST WAS THE LONG TIME TERMINAL AND OPENED 3/8/1917 SECOND AVE EL CONNECTED WITH STATIONS JACKSON AVE TO FREEMAN ST 7/23/1917 - 6/13/1942 GRAND CENTRAL, 59ST, 86ST, 125ST, AND 138ST OPENED 7/17/1918 THIRD AVE EL CONNECTED THE STATIONS GUN HILL ROAD TO E 241 ST 1920 - 5/12/1955 IT REACHED BROOKLYN COLLEGE BY 8/23/1920 SATURDAY SERVICE TO UTICA 4/28/30 IT WENT FROM 241ST OR E 180ST TO ATLANTIC OR UTICA 1934 SUNDAY SERVICE TO NEW LOTS 7/24/38 - 9/18/38 SUNDAY AFTERNOON SERVICE TO NEW LOTS 7/10/39 SECOND AVE EL ENDED 6/13/1942 ALTERNATE SUNDAY MORNUNG SERVICE TO NEW LOTS 12/22/46 SERVICE TO UTICA ALL DAY SUNDAYS 3/5/1950 THIRD AVE EL STOPPED RUNNING IN MANHATTAN 5/12/1955 SEVERAL RUSH HOUR TRAINS TO FLATBUSH REPLACING THE JEROME EXPRESS 5/3/57 THIS LINE WAS KNOWN AS THE 5 TRAIN 1962 THIRD AVE EL IN BRONX LASTED UNTIL 4/28/1973 5 TRAIN SERVICE BEGINS STARTING LATE ON SUNDAY MORNINGS 5/23/76 5 TRAIN MIDDAY SERVICE CUT FROM ATLANTIC TO BOWLING GREEN 5/24/76 5 TRAIN RE-EXTENDED TO ATLANTIC 1980 MOST 5 TRAINS OPERATE TO FLATBUSH 7/10/83 SOME PUT IN/LAYUP CARS WERE SENT TO UTICA OR NEW LOTS 7/10/83 THE 5 REPLACED THE 2 TO FLATBUSH DURING SOME WORK 1980s DURING CONSTRUCTION PERIODS, THE 2 GETS ROUTED TO THE LEXINGTON SUBWAY 5 TRAIN MIDDAY SERVICE CUT BACK TO BOWLING GREEN TO ALLOW 4 TRAIN TO UTICA 1/18/88 THE 5 TRAIN IS OCCASIONALLY ROUTED 7TH AVE TO SOUTH FERRY DURING WEEKEND CONSTRUCTION 1990s WALL ST STATION CLOSED FOR THE 4 AND 5 TRAINS AFTER THE WTC ATTACKS ON 9/11/01 WALL ST REOPENED TEN DAYS LATER FOR THE 4 AND 5 TRAINS ON 9/21/01
    5 THE DYRE AVE LEXINGTON EXPRESS THE NEW YORK, WESTCHESTER, AND BOSTON RAILWAY OPERATED 1912 TO 1937 IT WENT FROM 133ST HARLEM RIVER TO PORTCHESTER AND WHITE PLAINS COUNTIES IN WESTCHESTER THE CITY PURCHASED THE TRACKS FROM THE BANKRUPT RAILROAD AND MADE IT PART OF THE SUBWAY SYSTEM THE CITY BOUGHT THE NEW YORK, WESTCHESTER, AND BOSTON RAILWAY BETWEEN E 180 ST AND THE CITY LINE IN 5/15/1941 MORRIS PARK, PELHAM PARKWAY, GUN HILL ROAD, BAYCHESTER AVE, AND DYRE AVE WERE PURCHASED 5/15/1941 THE SHUTTLE SERVICE WENT FROM E 180 ST TO DYRE AVE 5/15/1941 IT WAS KNOWN AS THE 9 TRAIN 1956 - 1966 RENAMED THE SS TRAIN USING THE SAME ROUTE 1967 THIS SHUTTLE PHASED OUT AND BECAME AN EXTENTION OF THE 5 TRAIN 1973 - PRESENT
    6 THE PELHAM LEXINGTON LOCAL AND PELHAM EXPRESS ORIGINAL ROUTE WENT FROM 145st TO TIMES SQUARE, TURNED EAST ON THE 42nd STREET SHUTTLE, AND WENT TO CITY HALL ON LEXINGTON AVE LINE 10/27/1904 PELHAM BAY PARK BRANCH WAS JUST BEING BUILT IN THE BRONX 1913 138ST/THIRD AVE OPENED 8/1/18 EXTENDED TO HUNTS POINT ROAD 1/8/19 EXTENDED TO 177ST 5/30/20 EXTENDED TO WESTCHESTER SQUARE 10/24/20 COMPLETED TO PELHAM BAY PARK 12/20/20 IT WENT FROM PELHAM PARK TO BROOKLYN BRIDGE 1920 - 1964 THIS LINE WAS KNOWN AS THE 6 TRAIN 1955 6 TRAIN WENT FROM PELHAM BAY PARK OR E 177st TO BROOKLYN BRIDGE 1964 - 1966 6 TRAIN WENT FROM PELHAM BAY PARK OR E 177st TO BROOKLYN BRIDGE OR SOUTH FERRY 1967 - 1972 6 TRAIN WENT FROM PELHAM BAY PARK TO SOUTH FERRY 1972 - 1978 6 TRAIN WENT FROM PELHAM BAY PARK TO BROOKLYN BRIDGE 1978 - PRESENT 6 TRAIN LATE NIGHT SERVICE CUT BACK TO 125st SO 4 COULD GO LOCAL 1980 6 TRAIN WENT TO BROOKLYN ONLY ONCE 3/4/1985 EXPRESS 6 TRAIN SERVICE IN BRONX EXTENDED TO MIDDAYS TO MANHATTEN UNTIL NOON, THEN TO PELHAM 1995 LATE NIGHT 6 SERVICE RE-EXTENDED TO BROOKLYN BRIDGE BUT 4 KEPT LOCAL 1999 THE BRONX PORTION OF THE 6 TRAIN MAY BE CONNECTED WITH THE PROPOSED SECOND AVE SUBWAY
    7 THE FLUSHING LOCAL AND EXPRESS THE EAST RIVER TUNNELS WERE BUILT TO CONNECT L.I.R.R. FEB 25, 1885 PROJECT FELL THROUGH BECAUSE OF MISHAPS AND STAYED UNFINISHED UNTIL 1902 RENAMED THE STEINWAY TUNNELS FROM AUGUST BELMONT IN 1902 MORE RED TAPE KEPT THE TUNNEL IDLE FOR MORE YEARS TUNNELS WERE PURCHASED FROM THE CITY AND PLACED UNDER IRT OPERATION APRIL 3, 1913 THE FIRST TEST TRIP AS AN IRT TRAIN WAS MADE 6/13/1915 SERVICE WENT FROM VERNON JACKSON TO GRAND CENTRAL 6/13/1915 THE WOODSIDE AND CORONA SUBWAY SERVICE WENT FROM QUEENSBORO PLAZA TO GRAND CENTRAL 6/22/1915 EXTENDED TO HUNTERS POINT 2/15/16 EXTENDED TO 103RD ST 4/21/17 THE SUBWAY SERVICE EXTENDED TO TIMES SQUARE 4/21/1917 THE FLUSHING EL CONNECTED WITH THE IRT SECOND AVE EL VIA QUEENSBORO BRIDGE 4/23/17 THE IRT SECOND AVE EL #4 TRAIN WENT FROM SOUTH FERRY TO WILLETS POINT 7/23/17 ADDITIONALLY, THE BMT LINE SERVED CORONA LINE FROM MAIN STREET TO QUEENSBORO PLAZA 1924 BMT LINE NAMED 9 TRAIN 1924 9 TRAIN WENT FROM QUEENSBORO PLAZA TO WILLETS POINT 1924 EXTENDED TO 111ST 10/13/25 THE SUBWAY SERVICE EXTENDED TO MAIN STREET FLUSHING 1/21/1928 THE CORONA SHOPS OPENED 1928 THE WORLD'S FAIR IRT CARS MADE THEIR DEBUT 4/24/39 QUEENSBORO BRIDGE CEASED CONNECTIONS WITH SECOND AVE EL 6/13/1942 R12 TRAINS ARRIVE BEING THE FIRST TO DESIGNATE NUMBERS ON THE FRONT AND SIDES 1948 THE SUBWAY SERVICE BECAME THE MAIN ROUTE ON THE EL 1948 SUBWAY SERVICE WAS LATER KNOWN AS THE 7 TRAIN IN 1948 7 TRAIN WENT FROM TIMES SQUARE TO MAIN ST 1948 - PRESENT ROUTES THRU QUEENSBORO PLAZA WERE CONSOLIDATED, NORTHERN PORTION OF STRUCTURE TORN DOWN 1949 BMT 9 TRAIN PHASED OUT. THE SUBWAY SERVICE BECAME THE SOLE ROUTE ON THE EL 1949 STEINWAY TUNNEL WAS SUPPOSED TO RUN TO APPROXIMATELY 42st AND 10th AVE BACK IN 1887 7 TRAIN WAS EXTENDED TO 34th STREET - ELEVENTH AVE CALLED HUDSON YARDS ON 9/13/2015
    S THE 42st SHUTTLE THIS WAS PART OF THE ORIGINAL LINE LINKING THE LEXINGTON AVE WITH THE SEVENTH AVE LINE 1904 THE LEXINGTON AVE SUBWAY EXTENDED FURTHER NORTH OF 42ND STREET IN 1913 THE SEVENTH AVE SUBWAY EXTENDED FURTHER SOUTH OF 42ND STREET IN 1913 THE LEFTOVER PARTS BECAME TODAY'S SHUTTLE ONCE IT WAS CUT FROM THE LEXINGTON AVE AND SEVENTH AVE LINES 1913 KNOWN AS THE SS TRAIN 1967 TO 5/5/86 RENAMED THE S TRAIN 1986 TO PRESENT


    ABANDONED IRT EL SERVICES

    THE NINTH AVE EL KNOWN AS THE HARVEY RAILROAD 7/3/1868 THE NINTH AVE EL WENT FROM SOUTH FERRY TO BATTERY PLACE 7/3/1868 BECAME THE WEST SIDE AND YONKERS RAILWAY 1870 IT EXTENDED FROM BATTERY PLACE TO 30TH STREET IN 1870 BECAME THE NEW YORK ELEVATED RAILWAY OCT 1871 THE NINTH AVE EL EXTENDED TO 34TH ST IN 1873 REORGANIZED AS THE MANHATTAN RAILWAY 3/1/1879 IT WAS EXTENDED FROM 34TH TO 155TH / 8TH AVE IN 1879 THE NINTH AND SIXTH AVE ELS WERE DOUBLE DECKER ELS FROM 59TH TO 104TH IN 1879 IT REACHED 110TH ST ON THE TALLEST EL IN THE CITY KNOWN AS SUICIDE CURVE IN 1879 IT CONTINUED FROM 110TH TO 155TH / 8TH AVE IN 1879 LEASED TO THE INTERAPID TRANSIT (IRT) AND ELECTRIFIED 4/1/1903 AN EXTENTION WAS BUILT BY THE NEW YORK AND NORTHERN RAILROAD 7/1/1918 THIS CONNECTED THE SIXTH AND NINTH AVE ELS WITH THE #4 TRAIN IN THE BRONX USING THE SEDGWICK CONNECTION AT 8TH AVE AND 155TH ST 7/1/1918 EXTENDED BEYOND 167TH ST ALL THE WAY TO WOODLAWN 1/2/1919 NINTH AVE EL ABANDONED AFTER THE IND TAKEOVER OF THE IRT PROPERTIES 6/11/1940 SEDGWICK CONNECTION CONTINUED TO EXIST AS THE POLO GROUNDS SHUTTLE FROM 155 ST TO 167TH ST UNTIL 1958 IT WAS THE ONLY TRANSIT CONNECTION WITH THE NY CENTRAL PUTNAM DIVISION TERMINAL 1958 PUTNAM DIVISION CLOSED AS WELL WHEN THE GIANTS MOVED WEST 1958
    THE SIXTH AVE EL KNOWN AS THE GILBERT ELEVATED 6/13/1872 THE SIXTH AVE EL WENT FROM RECTOR TO 50TH IN 1872 LOST CONTROL OF COMPANY 1873 RENAMED THE METROPOLITAN ELEVATED RAILWAY 1875 THE SIXTH AVE EL EXTENDED TO 58TH IN 1878 BECAME THE MANHATTAN RAILWAY 9/1/1879 THE SIXTH AVE EL TURNED WEST ALONG 53RD ST UNTIL IT CONNECTED WITH THE NINTH AVE EL IN 1879 THE SIXTH AND NINTH AVE ELS WERE ON A DOUBLE DECKER EL FROM 59TH TO 104TH IN 1879 IT REACHED 110TH ST ON THE TALLEST EL IN THE CITY KNOWN AS SUICIDE CURVE IN 1879 IT CONTINUED FROM 110TH TO 155TH / 8TH AVE IN 1879 LEASED TO THE INTERAPID TRANSIT (IRT) AND ELECTRIFIED 4/1/1903 AN EXTENTION WAS BUILT BY THE NEW YORK AND NORTHERN RAILROAD 7/1/1918 THIS CONNECTED THE SIXTH AND NINTH AVE ELS WITH THE #4 TRAIN IN THE BRONX USING THE SEDGWICK CONNECTION AT 8TH AVE AND 155TH ST 7/1/1918 EXTENDED BEYOND 167TH ST ALL THE WAY TO WOODLAWN 1/2/1919 SIXTH AVE EL ABANDONED AFTER THE IND TAKEOVER OF IRT PROPERTIES 12/4/1938 SEDGWICK CONNECTION CONTINUED TO EXIST AS THE POLO GROUNDS SHUTTLE FROM 155 ST TO 167TH ST UNTIL 1958 IT WAS THE ONLY TRANSIT CONNECTION WITH THE NY CENTRAL PUTNAM DIVISION TERMINAL 1958 PUTNAM DIVISION CLOSED AS WELL WHEN THE GIANTS MOVED WEST 1958
    THE SECOND AVE EL SECOND AVE EL FIRST BUILT ON ALLEN AND DIVISION STREETS 2/24/1879 THE METROPOLITAN RAILWAY CONTINUED CONSTRUCTION AFTER TAKING CONTROL OF SIXTH AVE EL 9/1/1879 FIRST TEST TRAIN RAN FROM SOUTH FERRY TO 65TH ST 1/15/1880 BECAME THE MANHATTAN RAILWAY 3/1/1880 OPENED TO THE PUBLIC 3/1/1880 CHATHAM SQUARE WAS THE TRANSFER POINT BETWEEN THE SECOND AND THIRD AVE ELS ON 6/19/1882 A CONNECTING BRIDGE WAS BUILT TO CONNECT THE SECOND AND THIRD AVE ELS 9/25/1882 LEASED TO THE INTERAPID TRANSIT (IRT) AND ELECTRIFIED 4/1/1903 SERVICE VIA THE QUEENSBORO BRIDGE WAS INSTITUTED TO BOTH THE ASTORIA EL AND FLUSHING EL 7/23/1917 THE SECOND AVE EL #3 TRAIN WENT FROM SOUTH FERRY TO DITMARS 7/23/1917 THE SECOND AVE EL #4 TRAIN WENT FROM SOUTH FERRY TO WILLETS POINT 7/23/1917 THE SECOND AVE EL ALSO CONNECTED TO E 241st ALONG TODAY'S 5 TRAIN IN THE BRONX 1917 SECOND AVE EL ABANDONED 6/13/1942 AFTER THE IND TAKEOVER OF IRT PROPERTIES THE FLUSHING AND ASTORIA ELS ARE THE ONLY REMAINS OF THE SECOND AVE EL STILL IN OPERATION TODAY THE 7 TRAIN SERVES THE FLUSHING EL AND THE N,W TRAINS SERVE THE ASTORIA EL
    THE THIRD AVE EL BUILT BY THE NEW YORK ELEVATED RAILWAY 8/26/1878 AFTER TAKING CONTROL OF NINTH AVE EL IT WENT FROM CHATHAM SQUARE TO 129TH ST 1878 BECAME THE MANHATTAN ELEVATED RAILWAY 9/1/1879 EXTENDED SOUTH ALL THE WAY TO SOUTH FERRY 6/19/1882 CHATHAM SQUARE WAS THE TRANSFER POINT BETWEEN THE SECOND AND THIRD AVE ELS ON 6/19/1882 A CONNECTING BRIDGE WAS BUILT TO CONNECT THE SECOND AND THIRD AVE ELS 9/25/1882 EXTENDED TO 174TH ST IN 1891 EXTENDED TO BRONX PARK IN 1902 LEASED TO THE INTERAPID TRANSIT (IRT) AND ELECTRIFIED 4/1/1903 EXTENDED TO GUN HILL ROAD 10/4/1920 THE THIRD AVE EL CONNECTED WITH THE WHITE PLAINS EL ALONG TODAY'S 2 AND 5 TRAIN IN THE BRONX 1920 THERE WAS A THIRD AVE LOCAL FROM SOUTH FERRY TO 129TH STREET IN 1948 THERE WAS A THIRD AVE EXPRESS FROM SOUTH FERRY TO E 241TH STREET IN 1948 THIRD AVE EL ABANDONED IN MANHATTAN AFTER THE IND TAKEOVER OF IRT PROPERTIES 5/12/1955
    8 BRONX PORTION OF THIRD AVE EL WENT FROM GUN HILL ROAD TO 149TH STREET FROM 1955 - 1967 THE GUN HILL ROAD TO 149TH STREET ROUTE WAS NAMED THE IRT #8 TRAIN FROM 1967 - 1973 THIS FINAL SEGMENT OF EL WAS ABANDONED 4/28/1973


    ABANDONED IRT ELEVATED SHUTTLES

    THE 34TH STREET EL BUILT BY THE NEW YORK ELEVATED RAILWAY 8/26/1878 AFTER TAKING CONTROL OF NINTH AVE EL THIS ELEVATED SHUTTLE WENT FROM 3RD AVE/34TH STREET TO THE EAST RIVER IT CONNECTED PASSENGERS WITH THE FERRY SERVICE TO QUEENS IT WAS ELECTRIFIED 4/1/1903 SERVICE ENDED 7/14/1930
    THE 42ND STREET EL BUILT BY THE NEW YORK ELEVATED RAILWAY 8/26/1878 AFTER TAKING CONTROL OF NINTH AVE EL THIS ELEVATED SHUTTLE WENT FROM 3RD AVE/42ND STREET UP TO THE FRONT OF GRAND CENTRAL STATION THE EL WAS IN NO WAY CONNECTED TO GRAND CENTRAL BUT IT BROUGHT PASSENGERS TO THE FRONT DOOR WHEN THEY WALKED DOWN THE ELEVATED STEPS IT WAS ELECTRIFIED 4/1/1903 SERVICE ENDED 12/6/1923


    PHASED OUT IRT SHUTTLES

    POLO GROUNDS SHUTTLE THIS SHUTTLE WAS INSTITUTED IN 1940 AND WENT FROM 155TH - 167TH STREET VIA NINTH/SIXTH AVE EL SHUTTLE PHASED OUT 8/31/1958 ABANDONED EL STRUCTURES STILL EXIST TODAY -
    THE BOWLING GREEN - SOUTH FERRY SHUTTLE THIS SHUTTLE WAS INSTITUTED 1909 - 1967 KNOWN AS THE SS TRAIN 1967 PHASED OUT 2/13/1977 BUT CLOSED TO PUBLIC -
    THE LENOX 148TH - 135TH SHUTTLE THIS SHUTTLE WAS INSTITUTED IN 1934 AND WENT FROM 145TH - 96TH BECAME THE 145TH - 135TH SHUTTLE WEEKDAY EVENINGS 4/8/1960 AND WEEKEND EVENINGS 10/17/1965 BECAME THE LENOX 148TH - 135TH SHUTTLE 5/13/1968, WENT BACK TO 145TH - 135TH ROUTE AGAIN 12/15/1968 - 8/5/1990 SHUTTLE CAME BACK AGAIN 9/4/1994 - 9/10/1995



    TRANSFER HERE TO LEARN ABOUT THESE IRT LINES

    THE NINTH AVE EL
    THE SIXTH AVE EL
    THE SECOND AVE EL
    THE THIRD AVE EL
    THE BROADWAY - SEVENTH AVE LOCAL
    THE WHITE PLAINS - SEVENTH AVE EXPRESS
    THE LENOX AVE - SEVENTH AVE LOCAL
    THE 1/9 SKIP STOP SERVICE
    THE JEROME - LEXINGTON EXPRESS
    THE WHITE PLAINS - LEXINGTON EXPRESS
    THE PELHAM - LEXINGTON LOCAL AND EXPRESS
    THE 42ND STREET SHUTTLE
    THE 34TH STREET EL
    THE 42ND STREET EL
    THE FLUSHING LOCAL / EXPRESS
    DYRE EXPRESS
    THE POLO GROUNDS SHUTTLE
    BOWLING GREEN - SOUTH FERRY SHUTTLE
    THE LENOX 148TH - 135TH SHUTTLE
    THIRD AVE EL BRONX SHUTTLE

    IRT: BMT: IND:
    SUBWAY TRIVIA: THE LIRR IN RELATION TO BROOKLYN ELS:
    SUBWAY LINES: HOME PAGE:
    TRANSIT LINKS:



    Get the Search Engine Land Feed    Follow Search Engine Land on Twitter @sengineland    Like Search Engine Land on Facebook    Connect with Search Engine Land on LinkedIn    Keep up with Search Engine Land on Buzz

    COPYRIGHT 2005........ROBERT KOPOLOVICZ PRODUCTIONS