South Ferry – Whitehall Street is a New York City Subway station complex in the Manhattan neighborhood of Battery Park, shared by the IRT Broadway – Seventh Avenue train at South Ferry and the BMT Broadway and trains at Whitehall street station. Formerly two unconnected stations, the 2009 completion of the new South Ferry IRT terminal added free transfers between these lines. This station complex is the third on the site to bear the name South Ferry. The previous station from 1905 to 2009 served the IRT Broadway – Seventh Avenue and Lexington Avenue lines. The very first station before the other two was an elevated line open from 1878 to 1950, served by the former IRT Ninth, Sixth, Third and Second Avenue els.
South Ferry on the IRT Broadway – Seventh Avenue Line has two tracks and one island platform. The two tracks end at bumper blocks at the south end of the platform. This station is the newest in the entire transit system, built in mid 2005 underneath as a replacement to the now-defunct South Ferry loops, which are now used for train storage and turn-arounds. Unlike the loop station, this station only serves trains from the Broadway – Seventh Avenue Line, and does not connect with the Lexington Avenue Line. The loop station has the distinction of being the only station complex to completely close while remaining intact.
The station is designed as an ADA-accessible, two-track terminal, which allows all ten cars of the train to platform and all doors can be opened. The new station offers three street entrances (the loop station had only one) and has added a free transfer to the Whitehall Street – South Ferry station on the BMT Broadway Line. The artwork by artists Doug & Mike Starn depicting Manhattan topography is installed in the mezzanine. In November and December 2005, centuries-old walls were discovered in two places in the proposed right-of-way. The walls are on display in the park, and in the new terminal.
Originally budgeted at $400 million, the new South Ferry station cost a total of $530 million, with most of the money being a grant from the Federal Transit Administration earmarked for World Trade Center reconstruction. In January 2009, the opening was delayed because the tracks were too far from the edge of the platform. The problem was corrected and the station opened on March 16, 2009. It is the first new subway station completed since 1989 when the IND 63rd Street Line stations (21st Street – Queensbridge, Roosevelt Island, and Lexington Avenue – 63rd Street) opened. On April 16, 2009, MTA Capital Construction awarded a $19.2 million to Tully Construction Company, to reconstruct Peter Minuit Plaza, which is above the station.